Blueberry Lavender Angel Food Cake
Posted on January 29 2021
Makes 1 cake
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 40-50 minutes
Lavender Sponge Cake
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (150g) icing sugar
- 3/4 cup (100g) all purpose flour
- 9 egg whites (300g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup (150g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely ground Terre Bleu Lavender Culinary Buds
- 1 teaspoon extract (lavender, vanilla or almond)
Lavender Blueberry Compote
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon sugar (or to desired sweetness)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon finely ground Terre Bleu Lavender Culinary Buds
Lavender Whip Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely ground Terre Bleu Lavender Culinary Bud
- Preheat oven to 390° F (200° C).
- Clean all equipment in hot, soapy water to remove any leftover grease. Any amount of oil will cause the egg whites to not whip.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour and icing sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the white sugar and lavender buds together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Mix on high speed (use a stand mixer or hand held beaters) until soft peaks. If you turn the beater upside down, the egg whites should have a little peak that flops over.
- Slowly add the white sugar to the egg whites. Add a little bit at a time. Continuing mixing until firm peaks. To determine if firm peaks: turn beater upside down, the egg whites should have a little peak that stands straight.
- Add the extract to the egg whites and mix until just combined.
- Add the flour mixture in small additions by folding in with a spatula. Add a small amount of flour and gently stir the egg whites, try not to remove the air that was whipped into the egg whites. Continuing adding the flour until all is added.
- Gently spoon the batter into an un-greased tube pan.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the cake upside down (still in the pan) on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Gently slide a knife around the outside of the cake to help release from the pan. Gently knock the pan upside down until the cake releases.
- While cake is baking, combine the ingredients for the blueberry sauce in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until it begins to thicken. Allow to cool.
- When ready to serve the cake, whip cream in a large bowl until firm peaks. Make sure not to over whip as it will turn to butter. Add the sugar and lavender and stir until combined.
- Decorate the cake with Lavender whip cream and drizzled Lavender blueberry compote over the cream. You can even cut the cut through the middle making two layers then fill the middle with cream and compote as well! Finally be sure to have a bowl of cream and compote on the side to add a little extra joy when serving.
© 2021 Terre Bleu Lavender Farm Inc.