Makes approximately 24 doughnuts
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely ground Terre Bleu Lavender Culinary Buds
- 1 tablespoon blood orange zest (about one blood orange)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons blood orange juice (from approx. 1 orange)
- 1 to 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter, oil, sugar and eggs until combined. Gently stir in the finely ground lavender buds. Zest one blood orange directly into the mixture. Stir.
- In a large bowl, gently stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture. Add in the milk and stir until no lumps remain.
- Fill doughnut pan with the batter, about 3/4 full. You can use a spoon or fill a piping bag an pipe the batter into the molds.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 7-9 minutes.
- Allow doughnuts to cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the glaze. Stir the blood orange juice and melted butter in a bowl. Add the sifted icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time, stir until smooth after each addition. Add enough icing sugar until the desired consistency is reached. If glaze is too thick, add 1/2 teaspoon orange juice at a time. If it is too thin, add 1 tablespoon icing sugar at a time.
- Dip the slightly cooled doughnuts into the glaze and place back onto the wire rack. Sprinkle with lavender bud. Allow to sit until glaze sets.
- Doughnuts are best consumed the same day
*Note: if you don't have a doughnut pan, you can make these in a muffin tin as well. Bake times may need to be adjusted depending on the size of the muffin tin.
© 2021 Terre Bleu Lavender Farm Inc.