Lavender Apple Butter
Posted on October 03 2018
Apple season is upon us so take a stroll through your local farmer’s market or apple orchard to pick out the perfect apple for this fall recipe. At Terre Bleu we have a small apple orchard that we use to make this family favourite and we decided to share it with you! This lavender honey apple butter is like autumn in a jar with a slight floral twist, so roll up your flannel sleeves and dive into fall with this delicious recipe that will leave your friends and family feeling calm and cozy all season long. Have it on its own with your choice of bread or try it with brie cheese and crackers.
Makes 10 cups
- 5 pounds of apples
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 5 tablespoons Terre Bleu lavender simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 1 and 1/2 cup honey (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Lavender Simple Syrup Directions
- Add 1/2 cup of water to a small saucepan with 1/2 tablespoons of Terre Bleu culinary lavender bud and bring to a boil.
- Stir in 1 cup of sugar until it dissolves.
Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for at least an hour.
- Strain lavender bud or leave lavender bud in syrup for added flavour.
Apple Butter Directions
- Wash and quarter apples (no need to core or peel). Place in slow cooker and add apple cider vinegar and apple cider. Cook on high and cover until apples are soft (about 3 hours).
- Mash the apples with a potato masher until thoroughly pulped.
- Turn apple pulp into a puree by pressing through a food mill, sieve or food press.
- Add honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, lavender syrup, and salt. Cook on medium heat while stirring occasionally until apple butter darkens and mounds on a spoon (can take up to an hour).
- Place apple butter in canning jars. Follow appropriate instructions for canning safely.
© 2018 Terre Bleu Lavender Farm Inc.