LAVENDER BLUEBERRY SCONES
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Terre Bleu Dried Culinary Lavender Bud
- 3/4 cup cold, unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, for garnish
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (for icing)
- 2 tbsp water or milk (for icing)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (210°C). Place rack at top of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine four, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lavender bud. Mix well.
- In a food processor, add the cold butter and process until butter is in pea sized pieces. Alternatively, if you do not have a food processor - grate the cold butter and mix well to coat in flour.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a 16 inch (45 cm) square.
- Place the blueberries on top of the dough. Roll the dough into a log so that all the blueberries get trapped in the middle. Flatten the dough by pressing it until it is a thickness of about 1.25 inch (3 cm).
- Cut the dough into rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half into a triangle.
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the scones with the extra buttermilk.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Let cool.
- Mix icing sugar and water together until smooth. If it it too runny, add more icing sugar one tablespoon at a time. If too thick, add more liquid a few drops at a time. Drizzle on cooled scones and sprinkle with lavender bud.
© 2020 Terre Bleu Lavender Farm Inc.